Tuesday, February 5, 2008

super fat tuesday

This year commerates the combination of the only two "holidays" that specifically fall on Tuesday.

I'm not very political. I have my views, I only wish I could find a candidate with all of the same ones. Maybe some day. And just for the record, I did not vote today. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe. Will I vote in November? Most likely.

Being the good Catholic girl that I am, I will be abstaining from meat and fasting tomorrow. I will also go to church to receive ashes. I will give something up for Lent. I'm not sure what it will be yet. I would like to give up cleaning, but then no one will enter my home, including myself, so I guess I'll have to find something else.

The part about Lent, that most people don't realize, is that you are not necessarily suppposed to "give something up", but rather better yourself in some way. That could mean by attending chuch more often, helping with a particular cause, or even just visiting a shut-in neighbor. You could make the resolution to pray more often or even to read a few chapters of the Bible each day. It is about sacrifice, since Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us. Sometimes the sacrifice might be something as simple as your time.

So no matter what religion you practice, lets all try to take some time each day to do something for someone else.

Oh, and since it's Fat Tuesday, go have a bowl of ice cream! (and a cookie!)

No comments: