Saturday, July 28, 2007

yardwork

I spent my morning weeding. It's nice to see the finished product. However, I really only concentrated on the front of our house. Let me explain...

My husband, J, and I bought our first home this past June. We love it! We got almost everything we wanted in a house. The backyard isn't very big, but that's not really the problem.

The woman who previously lived here loved to garden. That was apparently what she did to relax. The problem is that they put this house up for sale last August. The "garden" has not been taken care of since then. This is what we now have to deal with:


Our backyard ends at the fence, basically it's all the flowers and such. You can't see it in the picture, but to the left there is a wrought iron arch that is anundated with vines and flowers.

I affectionately call it the "botanical garden". It's unsightly. I can't stand it. It's going to take forever to get it all dug out. The worst part is that there is now poison ivy growing throughout the "garden".

The front yard was pretty bad as well. My mom and step-dad actually helped us dig it out just a few days after we closed on the house. Various neighbors have told us how nice it looks and how it really improved the neighborhood.

I really just want to hire someone to come in and dig it all out, roto-till the soil and plant new grass. My husband says it will cost too much. He's probably right.

My other idea is to have a "garden party" for the neighbors. I will just tell them to bring their own shovels and dig out anything they want. That might help.

In the meantime, would anyone like some flowers???

No comments: